Sunday, July 10, 2011

Belgian championships half marathon 2011

So... today was all about running a half marathon.  Tine, Jenne, me and our Croozer Kid for 2 decided to take our bikes on the train and head for Diksmuide where the championship took place.  For Jenne, it was his first train-trip.  Although from the following picture one would think that he felt quite uncomfortable, he actually did enjoy the train very much!
Tine was the photographer of the day and cruised around with the Croozer to shoot some pictures somewhere half-race.  Jenne controlled the whole thing and gave instructions to his mom and other marathon-marshals:

 
As for the race... i finally figured out one should train for half or full marathons!  Having not trained too much the last weeks/months, I've put my goal at 1:30:00... which later turned out to be quite wishful thinking...  The start was OK, as the following pictures proves:
Quite fast I was 250m ahead of my Garmin Virtual partner (which was setup to run 14 km/h).  Somehow, the first kilometers I had the feeling that I was going to be able to keep up this tempo... but wait... this is a half-marathon, isn't it?  And one should not underestimate half marathons!!!  All went fine up until 10km... from then on my 250m started to shrink... after 14kms I was zero meters in front of my Virtual Partner and from then on, things went bad... very bad... See my Garmin tracklog for the proof!  This picture was taken somewhere between 14km and 15km, a very miserable moment:
I got behind my Virtual Partner very quickly.  I ran my first wishful thinking kilometer in 3m51s, and my worst kilometer in 6m59s... notice the difference of 3m08s!  Before the race, i had in mind to run the whole thing... I was definitely going to run the whole 21km!  But hey... this is a half-marathon, isn't it?  And one should not underestimate half marathons!!!  Somewhere around 17km, i was half-dead... and my body told me that I had to walk otherwise I would probably crash... so I walked... shame on me!

I finally finished the race in 1:38:34 (time from my Garmin), which is a modest 13 km/h.  I think I now know that training is the key to succes... luckily, it was fun after all and Jenne was so proud of his father's gold medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment