Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Real-time GPS tracking

For a while now, I've been looking for good real-time GPS tracking options that work with my Android phone.  I want to use this technology for the following things:
  • When I'm away from home, to let my family know where I am.
  • If I go running or hiking, to let others follow me online and in real-time.
  • For fun and safety while paragliding, also in real-time.
Some criteria that are important to me:
  • low battery consumption
  • possibility to view everything live in Google Earth
  • preferably allow customization of the time between two track points
  • ease of use
These are the current solutions that I came across, together with their advantages and disadvantages:
  1. Google Latitude: advantage is that it falls back on mobile phone or WiFi networks for the localization if GPS is not available.  Battery consumption seems also ok.
  2. Gaggle with LiveTrack24: seems nice for paragliding, but looks a bit overkill for simple running or hiking.  Rumors indicate that it has a high battery consumption...
  3. InstaMapper: haven't tested this one yet, but might be an option for running...
  4. WiaTrack for GPS-Trace Orange: haven't tested this one yet.
If you have other (preferably Free and Open Source) suggestions, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment